July 15, 2012

Quantum Taxis at The Fringe


Last night I attended a performance of “Quantum Taxis” at The Fringe Festival in Toronto.  I found it to be fairly intellectually stimulating. 

The premise is essentially how the small decisions we make in life affect the outcome.  How this is achieved is by following the taxi trips taken by two women.  The twist of fate is in showing how their taxi journeys, indeed their very lives, would have played out had they in fact taken a different cab.  It was an interesting exercise in “what if”.  The actors worked well together and the audience (including me) had a few good laughs.  I enjoyed the stories and the interplay between the characters was really good.

It was a first effort for each of the writer/director and the producer, and bearing that in mind it was well done overall.  It deserved to have a fuller house than it had.  This play was not without its merits despite being perhaps a bit overlong and wordy at times.  I think it was probably greatly under-rated, because I was certainly entertained. 

I’m not sure if it was seemingly overlooked due to a poor review by one critic, but I think people should remember that a critic is only one person and not necessarily the arbiter of what is good and what is not.  All the critic does is give their own personal opinion.  Personally, I believe that if I’d actually paid attention to critics, I would never have gone to see some of my favourite movies or shows in the first place.  


3 comments:

  1. Hi JP! Thank you for your comment on my Réalta blankets, I'm so glad you like the pattern. I tried contacting you at the email address you gave, but my mail was returned with a failure notice. I just wanted to say "thank you" for the compliment and let you know that the pattern is for sale on my blog (http://gingerschatz.blogspot.de/p/blog-page.html) and also on Ravelry, if you have an account there. Best wishes from Bavaria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the email. I'll check that out. I'll also check out the pattern. Cheers and best wishes from Canada.

      Delete
  2. Hi JP!
    It IS weird - the message I got with my returned mail was:

    Remote_host_said:_550-5.1.1_The_email_account_that_you_tried_to_reach_does_not_exist._Please_try/550-5.1.1_double-checking_the_recipient's_email_address_for_typos_or/550-5.1.1_unnecessary_spaces._

    For some bizarre reason, my email account doesn't like yours :-) Anyway, we managed to make contact nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete