August 03, 2023

Let the Healing Begin

In the pre-op yesterday it was pretty crazy to know I had no less than three anesthetic people try to convince me to have an epidural or the self-administer narcotic pain relief pump. I kept declining until with the last one I got angry and just said they would have to trust me to know what I need and that if I needed a boost I would let the nurse give me a shot. So they finally stopped bothering me and so far I'm fine with the Tylenol. Pain on waking was about a 6 and dropped to about a 2 by 8:00 pm.  

In the pre-op they had to put on the IV needle in my hand. The nurse missed the vein and the pain was so bad I jerked my hand away from her. I wouldn't let her try again so one of the doctors simply said they would do it in the OR.  A little later there was a visit from the anesthetist and he was actually able to put it in with a lot less trauma. 

Unfortunately, even though I was awake and alert fairly early at 2:00 pm, my room wasn't ready. When the occupant finally left around 5:00, I had to wait for it to be cleaned. I was so ready to be in my room I told the nurse to let them know I was willing to come help clean if it made it go any faster.  When they finally got me to my room at 7:00pm I was starving. There isn't any food allowed in the post-op so all they could offer me there was Popsicles. On getting to my room the nurse made some toast with peanut butter for me as a snack since I had missed dinner. My roommate was hungry too and also asked if she could have some, so we both nibbled toast with peanut butter.  My family brought some Wendy's for me and I devoured it.  

I was awakened a few times in the night as the nurse had to take my vitals - blood pressure, temperature, check my bandages, and pain level. I'm doing okay. My vitals have been good and the pain is very very okay. For the most part it has been almost nothing as compared to the increasingly terrible pain I lived with for the last few months! Any pain I do have now is healing pain and it will be diminishing every day.

Today the food comes regularly. Cheerios and a cranberry muffin for breakfast, with tea and OJ.  There was yogurt, but I don't care for that so they took it away.  Lunch was a little cheese omelette with some veggies and a few potato wedges. There was more tea and some cranberry juice, as well as jello pudding for dessert. And I mean actual real jello pudding, not the no-name knock-off stuff.  I ate every bite.  

I have been up for a couple of accompanied walks along the corridor and they want me up at least once more today.  Walking to and from the bathroom doesn't count.  I'm drinking lots of water and no longer feel so completely parched.  I also sat up on my chair a couple of times for a while and was even able to wash myself somewhat. No shower allowed as yet with a drain and of course dressings, so a kind of self sponge bath was accomplished with the psw on standby in case I felt faint or sick.  It felt good to get my own nightshirt on afterwards instead of a hospital gown.  

The doctor is pleased with my progress and I just might get out of here on Saturday.  Yay!

One really funny thing you might want to know...I now know exactly how my groceries feel.  The hospital wristband has both a QR code and a bar code on it.  When they do blood work they scan the bar code. When they bring meds or take vitals, they scan the QR. In the case of meds, their cart is an electronic work of art. The scanned QR code allows a small compartment to open and there are my assigned meds. The nurse puts them in the wee little cup like you get your ketchup in at Harvey's, and hands it to me.  
The nurses and PSWs have been great. I'm at Victoria Hospital in London, Ontario and have been receiving fantastic care. One of my doctors has been in twice and my main surgeon once so far today. Both are pleased with my progress and so am I.  

Keep sending those positive thoughts.  In five weeks or so, when I'm pretty much healed, then I will start radiation, and that will be a whole new adventure.  In the meantime, stay tuned.  I believe all the positive energy has helped so far.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment